Wednesday, March 30, 2011

An interesting thought to start the day Courtesy of Tricycle


Honesty Begins at Home
The pillar of skillful speech is to speak honestly, which means that we should even avoid telling little white lies. We need to be aware of dishonesty in the forms of exaggerating, minimizing, and self-aggrandizing. These forms of unskillful speech often arise from a fear that what we are is not good enough––and that is never true. Honesty begins at home, so the practice of skillful speech begins with being honest with ourselves.
- Allan Lokos, "Skillful Speech"

I think the part that hits home the most for me is "These forms of unskillful speech often arise from a fear that what we are is not good enough––and that is never true." As I start trying to date again and talk to other people in the same position, it especially resonants with me. The fear that I am not good enough. This had in some ways dictated  decision made all through my 20s and is finally being pushed into the backseat. Not good enough for who? I often find that is person is myself. I am at the point in my life where feeling comfortable in my own skin is a major goal. I recently responded to a personal ad that ended with in the Why you should Message Me area, something to along the lines of "you like yourself, if you don't how am I supposed to?" I liked the sentiment and responded to the ad. 

On a completely unrelated note, this article is a good read for the morning and a discussion we should be having more often.  F.D.A. Panel to Consider Warnings for Artificial Food Colorings



So as I dive head first into the dating abyss and my new life in general, I will try to keep it real. But not the point that keeping it real goes wrong. 



No comments:

Post a Comment