Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Hurt Locker

This will be a short entry. I rented The Hurt Locker over the weekend and finally made time to watch it tonight. I have to admit, I like war movies. I really thought this movie was well made. It has a good plot and there were a couple scenes that were shot almost perfectly. I can understand why it got the Oscar. And thank goodness it did over Avatar.
 I couldn't help but to think about Libya while watching it, and also thinking about the president's comments concerning our involvement in Libya. Obama's Nobel Peace Prize still looms large in my mind as we enter into another conflict with no end in sight. The students that I supervise have grown into adulthood only knowing war in the Middle East. It is a  norm to be at war for them. They matured into it. I found that to be sobering as we sat around a table discussing it. As a nation we have a vested interested in that part of the county and our military is protecting those interest. Do not get me wrong. I am glad we are protecting civilians, but my mind moves quickly to Darfur and Myanmar where our interest was not so vested and our troops not on the ground. Does American interest in the an area of the world prioritize the value of protecting human life? As quoted in the piece "Ending American Exceptionalism" "In short, as President Obama stated, “the burden of action should not be America’s alone.” Does it make it any better that  we have allies in the process of prioritizing life,  that burden does not fall on this nation alone.




No comments:

Post a Comment